The Past, The Present and The Future
The current church building was erected in 1873, although the schoolrooms (previously the Sunday School and Day School) predates the church building. Singing in the church was originally led by a harmonium, but in 1889 this was replaced by the current organ which had been previously installed in Stretford Town Hall.
Maintenance of the church has continued in recent years. The former choir vestry has been converted into a small chapel (the Reade Chapel). This is currently used as the vestry. A new amplification system has been installed, with a loop system for the hard of hearing and facilities for recording church services. In 1999, the church was extensively re-decorated, and the electrical system updated (including new lighting). In 2000, a wheelchair ramp was installed leading to the main doors at the front of the church. The toilet in the church has also been converted to make it accessible to the disabled.
There has recently been a major refurbishment of our schoolrooms. The building was previously a Victorian Primary School, but was extensively modernised and in 2006 became the Wesley Centre. The revitalised premises were formally opened on Saturday 6th May, 2006, by Lady Ann Winterton, MP for Congleton, after a short service conducted by Revd Kim Stilwell with Revd Anthony Tagg (Deputy District Chair) preaching the sermon. The project includes a spacious new entrance foyer; a new fully equipped kitchen; new toilets including disabled facilities; lift to the first floor; new heating system; new meeting rooms of various sizes, and a new floor and ceiling in the large hall which will seat up to 200. Externally the building blends sympathetically with its 19th century origins. The designers of the project were VWB Architects of Congleton and the builders were Termax Construction Ltd of Sandbach. For photographs of the Wesley Centre, please see the Wesley Centre webpage.
There are plans to replace the current audio system in the church with an audio-visual system, which will enable hymns and other information to be displayed on large screens.
The church will continue to try out new worship forms to suit modern needs.